Alaska Media Ltd is an independent television production company based in London, producing quality programmes and other content for worldwide distribution.
We are a company incorporated in England under company number  and our registered office is at 37 Warren Street, London, United Kingdom, W1T 6AD. Our main office is at 68b Salusbury Road London NW6 6NU.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of others and complying with all relevant data protection laws and regulations. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, store, use and transfer information about individuals, including those who are involved in the programmes we make, whether in hard copy or digitally on any of our servers or computers.
In this Privacy Notice, ‘Alaska TV’, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ refers to Alaska TV and ‘you’ and ‘your’ refers to people who contact us in connection with, or are otherwise involved in, our programming.
Why do we collect personal information
We collect and process personal information for a number of reasons including:
- producing, exhibiting, exploiting, distributing, publicising, advertising and promoting our programmes by any media (now known or hereafter invented) throughout the world;
- operating and managing our business effectively and lawfully;
- as part of and in connection with our programme-making and other activities;
- responding to queries from members of the public;
- contacting individuals about taking part in our programmes and assessing individuals’ suitability to take part in our programmes;
- making payments to individuals.
What personal information do we collect
Contacting us: you may provide your personal information (e.g. name, postal address, email address, telephone number, other contact information) when you contact us by phone, e-mail or otherwise in writing, or where you contact us online. This may be in connection with you participating in one of our productions, or for some other reason.
Participating in programmes: if you are applying or being considered to take part in one of our programmes it will be necessary for us to collect certain basic information about you including your full name, date of birth, gender, postal address, email address, telephone number and other contact details. We may also need to carry out identity checks and background checks. This will be in order to contact you and to assess your suitability for taking part in our programmes.
In some cases, it may be necessary for us to collect other personal information, including sensitive personal information (e.g. about your health or past convictions). Where that is the case, we will provide you with further details about the information we need, why we need it, the lawful bases upon which we will process that information, and about your rights. We may also ask you to provide information about yourself for equality monitoring purposes. It may be necessary for us to collect financial information about you, in order that we can process payments to you, if payments are applicable.
We may also collect, store, process and transfer personal information about you that is publicly available e.g. press articles, your social media profiles, online searches.
Sharing your personal information
Your personal information is processed by our employees and staff. Sometimes we use third parties who are contractually engaged to provide services to us that may involve the sharing of personal information e.g. IT services, legal and accountancy services. We also may need to share your personal information with other organisations from time to time including with:
- companies involved with our business activities e.g. broadcasters, post-production houses, sales agents, distributors, advisors to the company;
- broadcasting regulators e.g. Ofcom;
- the police or other regulatory bodies as required by law in connection with the investigation of crimes.
Although based in the UK, our business is global which means that we may need to transfer your personal information to organisations outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Where that is the case, we will ensure that adequate safeguards are in place to ensure the safety and security of your personal information and that it is processed in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
The bases for collecting and processing your information
There are a number of lawful bases upon which we may collect and process your personal information including the following.
- if you are entering or have entered into a contract with us, we may need to use your information for preparation of the contract and in order to fulfil the contract and our obligations to you;
- we may be under a legal obligation to process your personal information;
- it may be necessary for us to process your personal information for our own legitimate interests. Note that we will only do so where our legitimate interests do not override your own legitimate rights and interests.
- we may process your personal information with your consent. Where that is the case, we will tell you and seek your explicit consent before processing your information;
How we store your personal information
We have implemented appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information is kept safe and secure e.g. by storing it securely, and by keeping electronic data on secure servers and hard drives with appropriate levels of security including encryption and firewalls. However the internet is an open system and we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will never be able to defeat those measures.
We will only keep your personal information for as long as we need to. For those participating in our programmes, we are likely to retain your personal information for as long as is necessary in order to produce, exhibit, exploit, distribute, advertise, publicise and promote the programme in accordance with our legitimate interests and legal obligations. Personal information that is no longer required will be deleted/destroyed.
You have a number of rights in respect of your personal information, including the right to request that:
- access to the personal information that we hold about you;
- we do not process your personal information for direct marketing purposes;
- inaccurate personal information we hold about you is corrected ;
- personal information is deleted;
- your personal information is provided to you in a portable format.
Note that most of these rights are not absolute and are limited to certain defined circumstances. Accordingly, we may not be able to comply with any such request.
If the basis of our processing of your personal information is ‘consent’ you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
Getting in touch
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice please contact Alaska: 68b Salusbury Road London NW6 6NU, +44 (0) 207 644 0000. We will use reasonable efforts to answer your question or address your concerns promptly.
Please note that you are also entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you feel any concern of yours relating to the Privacy Notice has not been dealt with properly: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/
Changes to this Privacy notice
We may update or amend this Privacy Notice from time to time.